Thursday, July 21, 2011

Taking Initiative

What a wonderful word!  I have been praising Audrey for this word these last couple of days.  She still has a hard time saying the word but she fully understands its meaning.  I took some advice a while back that as a parent, you want to highlight the positives and down play the negatives to get the results you NEED out of your children.  I have for a while been praising Audrey for being sensitive to Lauren's needs and wants, and celebrating when Audrey does a sweet deed for anyone.  I try not to go on and on when she does something wrong but really ham it up when she gets it right.  Yes, I am that silly Mama over there clapping her hands and yelling WoooHooo when Audrey cleans up her mess at the grocery store.  I am a pleaser by nature and understand the importance of giving accolades when ever possible!  What can I say...I love making people feel good!

Well yesterday, I asked Audrey to make up her bed and I told Lauren to go and make up her bed.  You know...trying to keep things somewhat fair when chores are involved.  So, I hear Audrey explaining the steps required to making a bed to Lauren.  Then after making her bed she tells Lauren, "Look let me make your bed for you so we can love on Mama.  This will make her heart so Happy!"  Can you believe this kid?  Amazing...
This shot is right after I over hear her talking with Lauren.  I tell her that I want to capture Audrey taking initiative.  

Here she is showing me how she did it! 

The word of the day...initiative |iˈni sh (ē)ətiv|
the ability to assess and initiate things independently use your initiative,imaginationand common sense.
I love Audrey so very much!  Thank you for being my big girl who is doing some amazing things!
Have an amazing day everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so grateful to have you as one of my closest friends and next-door-neighbor. You are such a great Mommy!! Thanks for the adorable story.

    ReplyDelete